PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dumbing down in flying schools
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2004, 07:33
Farknel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itchybum, my comments have nothing to do with EFATO training - only with PFLs in the training area or elsewhere during nav training.

As part of the student's training at Tamworth (and I presume, at Point Cook before the move since we initially used the RAAF training manuals), the student was required to set the flap and power to simulate the clean glide configuration and subsequently monitor CHT during the conduct of the PFL. If the CHT was seen to be approaching the lower limit during a PFL (a frequent occurance during winter) they were required to suspend the approach and carry out a "warming" orbit all the while maintaining the same physical position over the ground. It was the instructors duty at this time to keep "bloggs" honest in not gaining any advantage during the orbit.

The QFI would initially do these tasks for the student, however the tasks was rapidly handed over to the student in order for them to be able to do it competently for their military GFPT.

At first, all the civvy instructors at TW thought this would be too difficult for the student (me included), however once it was demonstrated a few times and subsequently handed over to the student it became an action which was handled without any difficulty (by most students).

The attitude of the ADF to those very few who had difficulty doing more than one action at a time, was they were most likely not going to make it as a future military pilot. I thought this a very fair point.

Fark.