PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SERCO AUH / ALN - what happened ??
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2004, 19:47
African Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It fails me that you except a contract
Would that be "except" as in
except ..preposition...leaving or taking out. They all went except me.

...or did you really mean "accept" as in
accept .. verb .. to take or receive something willingly.

Sorry if you think I am being picky but there is a world of difference between the two.

...Robert

All you South Africans complain about Serco and its management. None of you guys actually do anything about it, which means stand up and fight. You're too scared to lose your job because you're here for the money only. So there's a lot of talk but no action. Another thing, why is it that Serco management (any level above the normal ATCO position) is packed with South Africans? Is it because they are the best qualified for the job (which some of them are) or is it because they will do what their manager tell them to do (just like a puppy)?
I'm afraid I must agree with a lot of what you said here. The SA guys (civil or military doesn't seem to matter) come from a system where you do what you are told without question. It obviously makes good sense to hire people like that as they are much less hassle than, say, a bunch of Ozzies or Canadians who come from systems that, from what I hear, seem to encourage (or at least used to) questioning the system in an effort to improve it. That definitely doesn't happen here. Any suggestions for improvement in conditions or the system seem to fall on deaf ears. Management is not interested in improving the system or the lot of its employees, it just wants to keep the contract, and do it with as few ripples in the pond as possible.
If they cared the slightest about their employees they certainly wouldn't allow smoking in the workplace over the objections of non smoking employees. In fact, given the huge court settlements being made these days to passive smokers I am surprised the financial penalties have not scared Serco into banning smoking in the workplace anyway.
I guess the fact that the contract manager smokes could have something to do with it