PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single pilot checklist - Yes or No
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2004, 14:19
Auto Relight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing to remember with checklists is: Who wrote it and what is the purpose behind it. Normal proceedures, emergency, or abnormal pro.

Having flown single pilot IFR, VFR and multi-crew IFR in FW as well as helicopters, my personal opinion is that any "normal" checklist should be commited to memory and turned into a "flow" type check. This is for two reasons. First, we are all creatures of habit, forming a PROPER flow and running through the steps each and every time assures that items will not be missed. Two, keeping your head up is very important whether VFR or IFR, having it down reading a checklist especially when single pilot is inviting trouble.

The only checklists that I feel should be read are the "abnormal proceedures" checklists in more complex a/c. Note I did not say "emergency" checklists, because those should be commited to memory.(I'm not refering to the jets here) Not only does this make for more efficient cockpit proceedures, it ensures that they are repeatable. I don't know how many times I've watched someone, including myself, read a checklist and miss one or two items - the flow prevents this, especially when fatiged.

Even single pilot IFR, maybe especially single pilot IFR, one should have a system in place where from engine start to landing there is a repeatable system for flying the a/c, cockpit set-up, clearances etc.

My two cents.

AR