PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Push" recoveries
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2004, 12:09
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I´m asking the mod for this forum to split this when time available as it is definitely going ´thread creepy´

landing config. body angle at a normal landing weight: -0.3 degrees, i.e. slightly nose down.
FW - are we getting attitudes confused here - is that the ´landing attitude´or the ´approach attitude´? If the former, I would expect loads of nosewheel first touchdowns? I would venture to suggest that most a/c land in a nose high attitude - also what is the engine mounting angle?

My MAIN point is to try to discourage last minute ´grabs´such as you describe. Having sat through endless ´circuits and BUMPS´in aircraft from 152 through Jet Provost to just ´BUMPS´ in Lightnings and 737s, I can assure you that such ´grabs´are not helpful in all but the first two types. That is most definitely NOT an OWT.

If you have any doubts about the ´physics´ of rotational kinetic energy, take one of your most expensive and fragile wedding dinner plates, rest it on a suitable pivot (NB Zero descent rate), and then whack one side of it downwards onto a concrete floor.

To guarantee this thread going to JetBlast what about " you are in a lift which is falling down the shaft. Just before the lift impacts with the bottom of the shaft, you manage to spring upwards at the same speed as the lift is falling." Discuss