PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - general nav
Thread: general nav
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2004, 11:51
OneIn60rule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's something to note

About the the G-Nav exam.

When you get CRP-5 questions they will very often throw in Devation as a number rather than 5 degrees WEST/EAST. I mention this because I myself fell for such a trick.

TRack> 350 (M)
HDG > 340 (M)
Var > 10 W
Dev > +10

Your compass heading is?

TRACK 350 (M)
HDG 340 (M)
VAR 10 W
Dev 10 W

Your compass heading is?

Believe it or not, those are the simplest ones you'll ever get, since neither really involves the CRP-5. The more time consuming (and by this I mean you'll waste more than 15 seconds on it) questions often focus on seeing if you can derive TRUE heading by applying the corrections for varation, devation, drift AS WELL AS HOW TO SHUFFLE IN ORDER TO FIND YOUR TRUE HEADING. If you don't know how to shuffle properly then you will pick the wrong answer. (the one that didn't use the shuffle)

This exam also has a tiny bit of instrument in it but it usually involves something you should know anyway. (I think the last time somebody took it they had maybe 5 on that)

Cover definitions for every type of map and what rhumb lines look like on each. Do not forget to memorize what the symbols on the chart mean (So basically imagine you were taking a Flight planning exam WITHOUT the ability to take your Jeppesen with you). Know what a compulsory point looks like on the chart, civil airport, military airport, NDB, VOR etc. since you'll get 9 questions (I'm guessing at this point but know they do ask a good amount based on charts) that focus on the Elo chart.

One thing not to do is try to use your CRP-5 to figure out the DENSITY altitude. Instead use the formula, it will give you the best chance of picking the right answer.

Not sure if there's much else you should be worried about but I advise anyone to make sure they also practice on questions where you have to plot out track to/from vors because if you haven't practiced it at all then you'll probably take forever to do each one.

Cheers and brake a CRP-5. (kidding)
1/60