PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police & pax at EMA
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2004, 00:44
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 446 Likes on 236 Posts
BJCC,

Noted your answer (the tone of which, I must say, I found very pompous), directly following my earlier post.

I too can guess why this particular incident occurred. It isn't, as you put it, "a gut reaction to half a story". Due to the nature of my job, I am personally responsible for the security of my own aircraft and pax, often not helped by security staff. My own recent experiences at airports make me reluctant to fly anywhere as a passenger these days unless I really have to.

From my own experience at that particular airport, there is an ongoing issue with staffing resources. I am not saying the actual security is deficient, but the point is that in these troubled times, sufficient staff must be made available in order to cater for incidents like this, or the public are going to stay away from air travel altogether. My point was that if there had been more staff available to deal with confirmation of security and re-process the passengers, it would surely have resulted in a better outcome for all. As a professional pilot I don't accept the "like it or lump it" attitude. We must NOT allow deficiencies in handling of these situations. The passengers pay my salary.

I, like the average person, have no personal objection to being searched or checked in the name of security, however often, provided that it is done in a professional, considerate and expeditious manner. Unfortunately it appears that these people were not searched or questioned, merely delayed, detained, inconvenienced and denied normal facilities without a satisfactory explanation. I sincerely hope this isn't a glimpse of things to come.

If this story is accurate and I don't disbelieve the first hand accounts, it seems the terrorists have achieved their aim, which is to disrupt our system and way of life.

Your quote:
<Complain to your MP if that makes you feel better, it will be investigated and it will waste a large amount of money (the paperwork and time involved is huge in complaints against police) which could be better employed fighting crime, but then its your money paid out in taxes so think about how you'd like it spent.....You'd be better complaining to the airlines, its thier responsibility to feed you, not the Police.> Unquote.

Totally irrelevant to my post. I never mentioned food or a possible complaint to the police or my MP.

However, if it is true that passengers were aware that the security staff and police were being fed and watered while they themselves were denied the same, it is totally unacceptable.