PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How To Post Photographs and Videos (incl photography tips from the gurus)
Old 24th Sep 2004, 00:20
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a similar equipment set up to Autorotate, having done a bit of free-lancing sports/news/landscape stuff. I also use similar film stock, but for poor light ie rainy day at soccer match, I will use Fuji Superia 800asa print film, which still gives good colour saturation and the grain is acceptable. Think of film grain like you would pixellation in digital terms.

In respect of lenses go for the highest spec you can afford. They will have the best quality optics, and go for those with a low 'f' number i.e 2.8. Grossly simplified, these types of lenses can let more light in to the camera, and can give far more options to a photographer in a creative sense as you get more experienced.
Here's one I did earlier, using Canon EOS1n-HS body and their 18-35 2.8L lens.

Note in focus from Boeing writing less than 0.5m away from me, to the clouds above! This is hand held and with circular polarising filter used. Original print on Kodak Portra 160VC, this is a professional print film that can accentuate some colours, so for sunsets etc, it can be quite useful to have a film like this. Autorotates film suggestions will give good vibrant natural colours, I also use Fuji Superia print film of 200 and 400asa. Another alternative to a tripod is a small bean bag about the size of your normal airport lounge paperback. You can settle a camera on it, on a car roof for example, and set a timed shot to get around camera shake.

PS why dont you like the image stabilised 100-300 mr A?