PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Push" recoveries
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2004, 00:19
Maximum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FullWings, of course I'm totally aware of what happens if you pull back on the stick in a descent etc.

But the point is, we are talking about circumstances within, let's say for arguments sake, forty feet of the ground with a rapidly sinking aeroplane.

So the crucial factor you are leaving out is time. Time available to arrest the sink. If we pull back on the stick, given time, yes, it would have an effect. But before that happens, we've already touched down - harder than desired in our example.

I say again, from experience I know that the application of thrust has a much more immediate effect. (And yes it does pitch the nose up slightly on underwing engined types). So perhaps we're both really talking about the same thing here - an increase in AOA and a thrust increase - which would make sense. However, in piloting terms, I'm sure it's best thought of this close to the ground as an immediate increase in thrust that's needed.

As for pushing forward for a 'greaser', as 411A verifies, the 'Boeing push' is a well known phenomena - haven't you felt this yourself? And I know from analysing my own control inputs that it definitely works (and can also be disastrous in the wrong hands).

..............break break..............*grin*

Fullwings, I think we both posted at the same time there as I hadn\'t seen your last post.

Yes, I agree entirely, pushing forward will in no way arrest or save an unacceptably high rate of descent.

Extra thrust is what you need!