PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Push" recoveries
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 23:55
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've just re-read this page and think that we might be talking at slight cross purposes about the whole 'pushing' thing.

I think BOAC, Maximum & 411A are describing a landing where the rate of descent has already been reduced to a low value and the aircraft is settling into the 'ground effect'. A slight forward movement could possibly do something strange with the tailplane/mainplane combination.

I'm talking about an unchecked rate-of-descent which will likely cause distress/damage to the aircraft and passengers. Pushing forward in this situation will do nothing to reduce the energy that has to be absorbed by the landing gear/airframe. For an extreme example see the thread on the Britannia crash at Girona.

I would strongly caution any pilot about using non-documented handling methods unless they understand exactly what they (and the airframe) are doing. If it was that good, Boeing (and others) would be recommending it. That's not to say it doesn't work most of the time, just think about what you would tell the investigating authorities when it goes wrong...