PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low level flying ban for London
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 22:54
Devils Advocate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please run this by me again; i.e. just what is this new rule supposed to prevent ? ..... and just to show what a 'kin dream world our politicos live in, we've got:
It said that the transport secretary "deems it necessary, in the public interest" to restrict flying "on behalf of the Metropolitan Police for reasons of national security".
and
Flights to and from Heathrow and London City airports are exempt, as are police helicopters and certain other authorised aircraft.
and
Airspace can be closed anywhere in the UK at a moment's notice in response to a threat.
Err, is it me or does this seem a bit ill-conceived ( much like the rest of the airline / airport security measures ) ?

I.e. How is one meant to tell a real police helicopter / aircraft from a fake one ? At any one moment in time, just how is Mr.Plod meant to know and address who is legitimately operating above the Capital from who is not ? Just how does one ‘close airspace’ ( other than with fighter aircraft ) ?

Imho, this is has about as much to do with counter-terrorism or ‘national security’ as does fox hunting and WMD's ( aka, Weapons of Mass Distraction ) !