PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Refuelling and Cell-Phone Use
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 11:47
TheShadow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Refuelling and Cell-Phone Use

I have a query about this from a Squadron Safety Officer in a South American Country's Air Force (see below). Supposedly he's to give a safety lecture and this is one topic that he's got to cover.

I know that radios are used extensively around refueling airplanes but have always been told that you shouldn’t transmit whilst being refueled yourself. Because a mobile cell-phone isn’t connected to the airplane I don’t see any threat. Pumping out high power from a radiating aircraft radio antenna might be a measurably greater hazard (particularly HF couplers) – but probably only because of the relays that are clicking over – not because of the level of radiated RF energy.

Relevant Pprune URL below about forthcoming ability to allow pax to utilize their cellphones onboard (i.e. how will you then stop pax from doing it during refueling on an operational stop?). Also point out that there’s a difference from using a cell-phone when inside (versus outside) the Faraday Cage of the fuselage.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

Wouldst appreciate any input on this. I'd like to help this chap out but certainly not with any duff gen based upon my limited knowledge of the subject.

My name is Lieutenant XXXXX, from XXXXXXX Air Force. I'm preparing a presentation about aviation safety. I need to know about the refueling aircraft and the use of celular phone, if somebody is using it near of refueling operation. Why Is this a dangerous procedure? Is there some accident already occurred, or some report about this. I'm greatful for your attencion and help. Thank you.