PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Physics degree
Thread: Physics degree
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 08:14
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have been told countless times A Levels are harder than Uni. Uni jus shows u have an extra thing to learn more . Personnaly If im gonna have to pay to be a pilot i dont want uni debt as well.
Oh dear - what a load of rubbish. A degree is a totally different ball game from A-Levels, not least because you read for a degree, and get spoon-fed A-Levels. A degree is not just harder, but a product of your own brainpower and initiative.

For starters, RT Jones, it teaches one not to type in text-speak, which is incredibly hard to read.

If you read reports of 4hours a week lectures on a social science degree, then you have really missed the point as well, as it will take another 35 hours of private study at any decent uni to get through the course.

The debt factor is misleading - not only because during earning the student loan debt comes out of your paycheck, so you don't have to think about it, but also so long as you have saved a little cash and are prepared to do a little bit of work in the holidays, you are probably not going to end up with anything more than the interest-free overdraft and a bit on the credit card.

With the number of people who want to fly, and have not had the opportunity to be sponsored in the recent past due to the economic situation, your competition for sponsorships is larger than ever - why not enhance your prospects, while gaining the ability to do a better backup career with enhanced earning prospects. A hell of a lot of people have had to do other jobs in the recent past while aviation recruitment has been dry - there is nothing to prevent it happening again.

Physics - I'm sure that if you enjoy the subject, it will help you in the interview by making you an interesting person to talk to! The same goes for anything else you choose and enjoy studying, from Philosophy to Geophysics.