PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The yaw/slip thread (merged) aka Aerodynamics 101
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 03:20
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vmcg and Vmca Speeds and Safety Factors

Some research on this subject since my recent post indicates that the old 2 second delay stipulation has been overtaken by civil type certification guidelines for TPs . The 2 second do nothing is still considered for special circumstances.

The following are my summaries which are presented as a stimulus for your further considerations and mental preparedness should you be suddenly faced with the non blessed event.

In the determination of Vmcg, recovery should be achievable by the average pilot within the confines of a 30 feet diversion from centre line.

In the determination of Vmca, recovery should be achievable by the average pilot within a 20 degree change of heading.

These allowances embrace your reaction buffer which will only be enough if you maintain your skill and intuitive reflexes.

I decry the fact that simulators cannot quite substitute for the real thing in this critical area of flight and blame the bean counters for taking simulation too far.

When was the last time you experienced Captains had one pulled on you on a training flight and how was it?