PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 01:53
antenna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The FaI in Paisley heard there was no confirmed final radar trace, adding to the whole jigsaw of confusion. I have not seen anything to change such a position though I know Bowcott's reporting is consistently strong on other issues. On this matter the authorities at Prestwick (who we should remember failed - even though they received it - to respond to Jon Tapper's introductory radio call as he was over the Irish Sea in transit) say no radar trace of the final moments was discovered. There was other activity spotted on radar in the moments before power down but none has been shown to be anything concrete.

With respect to Walter's somewhat earlier posting relating to US presence, I spoke to US Navy SEALS above the crash site at the time of the crash so can confirm their presence and their involvement in a recovery operation. I cannot confirm their precise role. They may not have had one beyond being asked to help in a general way. I mention this presence only as I know privately the issue of US presence has been a source of debate. The US was there the day after and on June 4 also. Why? No idea.