PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Swiss flying for British Airways?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 17:53
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Studi - although you disagree with my viewpoint you have failed to make a connection between my statement and your assertion about history. You have also failed to understand my point. I am unashamadely pro-British as you can tell, but that does not make me a feature of history. I work in a company that employs people from just about every country and background, but they are not a national airline. My point is that it is entirely reasonable to employ nationals first before taking foreigners in a national airline.

I note your unwillingness to discuss history - the fact is that the histories of many of the countries in Europe are full of shameful nationalism - none more so than your own. The 'unfortunate' history of such countries has led them to react so massively against their past that any talk of acting in the best interest of their nationals is something to be ashamed of. Whilst far from perfect, we in Britain have one of the most cosmopolitan countries in the world. Nonetheless it is perfectly acceptable to say that in certain circumstances the jobs should go to nationals - the armed forces and the national airline being obvious examples. That is not something to be ashamed of or apologetic about - it is totally appropriate.

I am proud to be British but that does not make me hate foreigners. It does make me see that Britain has a prime responsibility to look after the best interests of its own citizens in Britain and not the interests of everyone else's.