PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The yaw/slip thread (merged) aka Aerodynamics 101
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 10:12
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raw Vmca.

Apolgies to all who considered Raw Vmca to be a formalised term.

It is my way of saying that most of the certified speeds for aircaft types have a buffer to give us a reaction time. None of us can react intantaneously and succeed at what I have called my Raw Vmca. Without that buffer you are instantaneously right at the edge of losing it.

For those who consider there is no buffer and then realise that they need around 2 seconds to identify the culprit engine and follow through with appropriate actions (and that will be most of us) then you had better add YOUR 2 seconds to the published IAS/CAS. Your pilot not in command will certainly appreciate you doing just that. So will you if you are down the back.

My mention of the 2 seconds was to cause readers of the thread to ponder their predicament if no buffer exists.

Not having been involved with the determination of Vmcaes/Vmcges for a decade or two I am temporarily outdated on current certification flight tests. The buffer is a judgement made by the TPs who have a responsibility to you for safe operation.