PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yeovilton Air Day
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 08:18
pulse1

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
SLS, Dirty Bleeder,

This thread has provided a channel for some of us to provide feedback to the show organisers as to how we felt about it. One of the first rules of marketing is to get customer feedback.

Being told that we cannot offer our opinions because we cannot do it ourselves is not particularly helpful to anyone.

I have attended the Yeovilton Air Day many times, over the years, and this year was the first time I have been disappointed. I felt it was important to say why because it may help to make it better in future. One thing that has always made Yeovilton better than any other show for me was the way that they used to create a feeling that it was a show, designed to be entertaining.

The first Air Day I ever went to was an example. It started with the Swordfish and, as it landed, the commentator had us all listening to the wonderful sound of its engine. Then about 6 F4's came in very fast from behind the crowd and made us all jump. That's the type of showmanship which we used to expect at Yeovilton.

Last year there was a similar thread here and I was the first to pour praise and thanks on all the participants and, especially, the FAA contribution. The Harrier contribution last year was brilliant. The Lynx Duo display was incredible.

I do not need to be able to fly a Harrier to decide that I was not entertained by one just as I do not need to be able to play a violin to decide that I did not enjoy a concert.

I was in a party of seven (one FAA member) and none of us is likely to go again next year unless we hear that it is going to be better. This was the first time I had bought tickets in advance too.

I do hope to be there again next year.