PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orient Thai
Thread: Orient Thai
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 01:43
Taikonaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not in the race whatsoever but there seems to be a bit of conflict going on here in regards to rents in BKK.

I'm not defending Topman or siding with anyone here but since I work for a US carrier and live in Thailand I think do have some factual input here.

First of all, yes, if you want to live in the "exclusive" expat neighborhood you will pay, i.e. Sukhumvit, Ekamai, Nana, Silom etc. Yes, you will be very comfortable with 20 Starbucks within 10 minute walk. Skytrain that will whisk you and your Thai girlfriend from Patpong to Nana in 5 minutes. A nice place on Wireless road will set you back 40,000-60,000 baht/ mo ($1000-$1500 USD).

What Topman is refering to is places outside those areas. Yes, you can get a nice two bedroom near the airport for 6,000 baht/ mo ($150 USD/ Comfort Suit Condo/ Hotel). So it will take you no more than 200 baht ($5 USD, and I'm being very generous here). to go from airport to the Sukhumvit area in 20 min.

It's all relative gents. If you were to live in HKG, you would definitely pay more on the island in the mid level area or in Kowloon for less than half the cost. Yeah, so it'll take you a bit longer to get to the local watering hole but what is your priority here?

If you are hired by OX or even thinking of putting an app in for OX then you are bottom feeding since you are looking job that doesn't pay so well, no sop, no benefits etc... If you are furloughed with seniority number with US carrier then it's a fun break while waiting for the recall. But if you are there becuase no one else wants to hire you for what ever reason then which area you live in is not your first priority. Bangkok is a very safe city. It's not the Thais but other farangs that will do you in.

Beggars can't be choosers. If this is not the case then all this is a moot point anyway.

If you are that desperate then the last thing you would want to worry about is living in the exclusive area paying out the ass while working for OX???

If you work for a US 121, Cathay, JAL etc. pulling in $100k+/ year and living in Thailand then go ahead and move into the nice neighborhood with a Benz in your car port. But otherwise, live within your means.

I hope I've cleared up some housing issues here but then again, may be not...

Last edited by Taikonaut; 22nd Sep 2004 at 05:48.