PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yeovilton Air Day
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2004, 23:50
tickhill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I enjoyed it too.

It was a very different and much lower key affair than Waddington (the only other show I went to this year), but none the worse for that. I managed to see all the statics, all the stalls I wanted to see (something I never manage to do at the larger events) and enjoyed the displays. The fact that there were few FJs did not worry me, as I had had my fill of those at Waddington.

What I wanted to see were the vintage aircraft and the more unusual stuff (such as that VW powered flying circus and the finale). All this met or exceeded my expectations.

It would have been nice to see the BBMF again, as I might actually have been able to hear them (something that can be difficult at the larger shows). I also really missed seeing the Hunter fly (one of my all-time favorites and the only plane in the static park to get a "that's cool" from my wife), but I can accept that the weather can get in the way of the best plans.

It was also a shame that the Vixen was only there as a static. I saw it at Southport last year and had hoped to see it fly again. It would have fitted in well with the other FAA vintage planes, and this (of all shows) is the one where it should display. Why did it not fly? Cost?

But all in all, I really enjoyed it. Staying on the base with my family (as guests of a friend who is based there), and getting into the wardroom enclosure (and meeting the Reds) certainly contributed to a good time, but I would have enjoyed it as a regular visitor.