PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster/Finningley (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2004, 14:36
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G22 I'm quite familiar with the area, the outlaws are from there! Any way with the runway useage going to be 70/30 westerly/easterly to emphasise to the community so early on there will be a bias towards easterly departures is a poor move. They will take that as read, and will not understand the operational implications which will in due course alter that. Any likely change to undo this bias would be vehemently contested, make sure that bias isnt in any planning agreement or future development will come at a heavy price!. You are quite right regarding take off with tail wind component, however that is usually only a few knots, again something the public will not understand, and a few knots/wet runway may make all the difference for a departure even with the length of runway available.

A far better option will be an alter course off 20 at about 500ft by 20 degrees or so to take aircraft between Bawtry and Tickhill. It wont be perfect but operationally in the long term it will be preferable. By having this bias it also means south bound operators are potentially adding a significant track mileage to the departure route. That will be an interesting pitch to lo-cost airlines for example!

Any more for any more? Hope the above is of some use, and the above is correct, I can assure you I know!