PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CG--RUDDER EFFECTIVENESS AND Vmc
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2004, 10:55
Oktas8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hullo Milt! Welcome to another thread of heresy! I haven't actually left the other thread, but I must confess to being slightly bored with the argument going in circles at the moment.

Firstly - wingtip 777 - my answer is textbook correct in every respect. Milt wishes to challenge the textbooks! (Thanks very much for your response by the way - "I understand it now" is flattery for a flight instructor!)

Now back to heresies and heretics, and the subverting of dominant paradigms.

Milt - please note the very careful use of the word tend in my posts. A body does tend to rotate about its own c.g. - I'm sure you've read the same physics texts I have that demonstrate this. An aircraft, being a body with mass, will tend to rotate about its own normal axis, and this simplification is IMO justified for a question such as was posed at the beginning of this thread.

I am aware of the lateral centre of pressure and its effect on an aircraft - an effect which is minimal at small angles of slip, I might add. The initial tendency of an aircraft to yaw, is about the c.g. - the lateral centre of pressure plays an increasingly important role as the yaw / slip is allowed to develop.

Secondly, please do not equate weight with c.g. In my post I did not mention weight, nor did I resolve it in any particular direction. Confusing mass (c.g.) and weight is a beginner's mistake, or an expert's attempt to confuse a beginner - either way, shame on you.

Lastly, someone who did not previously understand why c.g. affected Vmc, now does understand, at least to a level that allows them to load the twin correctly before flight. This is also quite important.

cheers,
O8