PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The yaw/slip thread (merged) aka Aerodynamics 101
Old 21st Sep 2004, 02:39
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ft Fred

Ref your last post.

Sorry don't know who won what?

You say now "You base your case on there not being any horizonatal force at the tail sans sideslip?"

Sorry again I have lost track of the specific 'case' to which you are referring. Suffice to say - I hope we are remaining strictly in the horizontal plane.

Yes - no horizontal force at the tail without sideslip. Rudder is integral with the tail. Bank or rudder angle or offset drag will each cause sideslip seperately of together in our balanced flight circumstances.

Hey fair go Fred

My quote is quite specific in saying that under normal horizontal circumstances the application of some rudder will cause sideslip which generates our side force.
Where is this horizontal force without sideslip that you are now attributing to me? when you say

"And voila! Now you base your argument on a horizontal force without sideslip!" The only ones I know in this forum are thrust and drag. (Oh --- please ignore the horizontally resolved component of thrust not aligned with the line of drag; let's keep it simple.)

The prospects for a cold one or two Dunnunda are most welcome.

There may be a few wanting to suss out the rebel who undertook to thoroughly question some long established beliefs. I have been doing this ever since my first aerodynamics lecturer tried to convince his class that an aircraft made a balanced turn under the influence of rudder alone. He had nil or little flying experience.

Do we progress?