PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Incident????????
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2004, 23:51
Uncommon Sense

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is worth noting that whilst the comments Roger Standby make are correct, he is referring specifically to the 'Enroute ATC' (Centre), whose airspace responsibility may overlay a myriad of aerodromes with procedures not neccessarily known to him.

The Approach ATC where provided is however required to know all the details of the various IAL including IAF, MSA, MApT, Sector Entries, RLSALT etc., and the approaches are shown on the Radar Maps. Holding patterns and approaches are also radar monitored (See Approach Monitoring Service - wherever it is written these days!)

I only make the disitinctiion here because it does not appear apparent in quite a lot of exchanges between pilots and controllers who can do exactly what.

Keg: Thanks for the reply. I get your point about not delaying the departure - passengers are a funny lot.

[Footnote: The same thing is seen in the winter at YBCG. ATC APP and TWR is provided 0545-2300 local. How much extra would it cost to run from 0530 in the winter months? Probably around $40 all up. Don't ever tell me that safety is paramount in such decisions.]

Last edited by Uncommon Sense; 21st Sep 2004 at 01:45.