PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civilian DHC-5 Buffalo
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2004, 18:18
dooner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I can scratch the rust off my brain cells and look back to the late 80's when I flew the Buff out of Comox, I remember having a discussion with a group of guys from Austin Airways and they had looked at purchasing the D models for work around Northern Ontario.

The big drawback was the requirement to add all the "segmented climb" performance as required by TC. After applying all the applicable data, the runway lengths required were rediculously long for that aircraft, hence it was more practical to go with the Dash 8 and that is just what they did.

Flying below Vmca on takeoff and approach also had transport a little worried at that time (STOL work). Too bad really, had the opportunity to see some VERY short strips and some long, steep vallies throughout BC, which the BUFF handled with ease.

Now flogging around the globe in an A345 isn't quite the same as 500' above and 1/2 mile out from the mountain side, but then again the gals serving our coffee are a whole nicer to look at than a SARTECH

Dooner