PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Swiss flying for British Airways?
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2004, 17:15
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As we are now in the EU (except Switzerland who are de facto in the labour market by their agreements with the EU), and so long as I can work in Europe, I couldn't care less if Europeans worked in the UK. Additionally the British native race is caucasian - that appears to be the same as in mainland Europe the last time I checked: that is not racial discrimination.

The issue of concern is that we, as Britons, are useless at languages compared to Europe and are unable to make use of the opportunities that exists overseas.

Furthermore as a legacy of our imperial past, from which we greatly profited, Commonwealth nationals being able to work in the UK is a result of that legacy.

Instead of retreating into a nationalist cell, would it not benefit us all to ensure that those trade and labour market barriers remain open for the future?

I suppose your answer will always depend upon political inclinations - but my language point stands - is it not as a result of our success in being a dominant culture and market that has caused many overseas to learn and work in English as a foreign language, and should we not celebrate that?

Incidentally one can work for Lufthansa or Air France, being British, und weil ich Deutshce sprechen kann, moechte ich vielleicht fuer Lufthansa arbeiten.

Last edited by Re-Heat; 20th Sep 2004 at 21:48.