PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC reports helicopter crash in the Highlands
Old 20th Sep 2004, 15:26
Time Out

PPRuNe Time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retired Major Killed in Helicopter Crash

By Joe Quinn, Scottish Press Association

A hotel owner died in a helicopter crash shortly after dropping off his 14-year-old daughter at school, it emerged today.

Retired army major Neil Sutherland, 68, died when the helicopter in which he was a passenger crashed into a Scottish Highland hillside in “atrocious” weather conditions.

The 51-year-old pilot, a friend of Mr Sutherland, was today being treated at Belford Hospital, Fort William, for spine and pelvis injuries.

Police said the injured man, who was not named, was an experienced pilot who flew around 100 hours a year.

Mr Sutherland served with two Scottish army regiments and had also worked for 17 years for the Hong Kong Jockey Club, his family said.

The two men are believed to have been returning to Kentallen, south-west of Ballachulish, after dropping off Mr Sutherland’s younger daughter at her school in Perth, 90 miles away.

With his wife Philippa, Mr Sutherland ran Ardsheal House, a country house hotel set in an 800-acre estate which contains one of the oldest natural woodlands in Scotland.

The house was built in the 18th century, replacing an earlier mansion that was burnt down in the uprising of 1745.

Police today issued a public statement from Mrs Sutherland saying: “I would like to thank the media for their concerns. However, I ask that they leave my family and I alone to grieve at this time.”

She said her husband had served with the Cameron Highlanders and the Queen’s Own Highlanders, before serving for 17 years with the Hong Kong Jockey Club.

He then returned to the Highlands to take over the Ardsheal estate which was now the family home, she said.

“He leaves myself and three children, a son of 32 and two daughters aged 30 and 14.”

Investigators from the Air Accidents Investigation Branch of the Department for Transport were today investigating the cause of the tragedy.

Emergency services were alerted at around 9pm last night, and launched a search and rescue operation which involved police, fire and ambulance workers as well as local mountain rescuers, and two military rescue helicopters.

Initial reports told of a helicopter flying over the eastern side of Loch Linnhe shortly before a huge bang was heard and a ball of flame was seen on the hillside.
source