PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The yaw/slip thread (merged) aka Aerodynamics 101
Old 20th Sep 2004, 11:09
Keith.Williams.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello again Milt,

It is of course quite possible that I have got it all wrong and I am quite happy to be swayed by a suitably logical argument.

You said in your most recent post "Cannot imagine accepting the possibility of having sideslip either way...." I, and I suspect many other readers, believe that the following situations are (at least theoretically) possible.

Situation 1.
Let's suppose our left engine fails and we put in right rudder to arrest the left yaw. We then increase rudder so that we yaw the nose to the right of our original flight path. If we get the rudder just right it appears to me that we will now be sideslipping down our original track. That is sideslipping toward our dead engine. Our lateral stability would tend to roll us away from this sideslip, but we should be able to hold the wings level by applying a bit of aileron towards the dead left engine

Situation 2.
Let's suppose that instead of doing the above we bank the aircraft hard towards the live engine. The tilted lift force will cause us to sideslip towards the live right engine.

Which of these situations do you consider to be theoretically impossible and why?