PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Incident????????
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2004, 10:42
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
US, I'm not on the 737 so I don't know the policy re CB. I also don't fly into any aerodromes where ATC opening hours are a problem so I can't help with that one. Where possible though, we're supposed to remain in CTA. Obviously we have Ops all over the place that don't remain in CTA but where we can remain, we do. Whether this is a directive for the 737 guys at CB I don't know! If a greater need exists (fire or something else) then they go on and shoot the approach!.

The guys probably did reduce speed enroute. We all tend to do that. As for 'delaying departure', the 'preference' from what I remember is to go on time and lose time en route. Apparently, passenger feedback indicates that they don't like hanging around! Besides that, that bugger Murphy would suggest that as soon as you delay the departure (which is difficult to do in PH anyway due to the heap of turn arounds at that time of night), you'll cop all sorts of crap trying to get away, less strong winds and subsequently run late!