PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2004, 10:09
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hour 13

It was one of those days that just went extremely slow and seemed like it would never end. That’s the feeling I get when the weather is pretty poor all day and the flight is booked for 1630. Rang up at half 3 and it was on – wuhoo!

Sorry, bit carried away there. We had a strong headwind, coming slightly from the left, which meant a strong crab and a crosswind landing technique. My PTT button started playing up in the circuit, kept making a crackling noise when I pressed it, so unfortunately, my instructor had to look after the radios, which was a bit gutting as my confidence is building and I like talking to ATC, especially in the circuit. But not to worry, on with the flying. There was another Tommy in the circuit, which was behind us (or in front, whichever you prefer) and there was also a fair share of Easyjets out and about. That’s what I love about Liverpool, seeing the big guys so close to you and having to work around them and give enough spacing for vortex etc – its fantastic. Upon reporting downwind, ATC always give their recommendation for spacing, they cant tell you to give a 6 mile gap after a 737 – so it is like a bloody good hint to orbit, or extend downwind etc, whichever is more appropriate.

On one of the circuits, we were orbiting for about 5 mins, number 4 to 3 other jets plus we had the other Tommy behind us, also orbiting. It was very busy but I felt confident and was loving every minute of it. Each landing was with the use of 1 stage of flap, due to the strong headwind. We were trying to (well we did) perform the wing down landing technique, and it is amazing as to how much aileron needed (probably maximum) to keep the drift correct, and the amount of rudder used to keep the nose down the runway. We were landing on the port undercarriage firs, followed by the rest. Fantastic, and one of those original fears which is no longer fear (thanks to the guys who helped me out in another thread a few months back about xwind landings).

So the call comes in:

“downwind to land”

It was then decided upon (not by me of course, or due to any technical failure) to do an emergency landing, following engine failure, so off goes the ignition, keys out and master off……………………..(sorry, that was a joke, just couldn’t resist). OK power to idle and controls over to me following the words “engine failure”. This is mistake number one, I went straight for one stage of flap, probably for 2 reasons. 1 – we had been using them whilst landing in the circuit and 2 – they provide more lift at slower speeds, and due to a natural reaction, I stuck one stage in! So instructor kindly stated we don’t use them yet – you must let the aircraft settle and figure out what it is doing, decide upon the correct attitude and make decisions, then, use flap. After all, you may not even need them, depending on your height and distance from airfield – plus, you don’t want to exceed VFE (maximum flap operating speed).

So another successful circuit session. We have been joking about my circuit training so far, mainly because each time I do circuits, the wind has been close to maximum and conditions have been bumpy, (I have done 3 sessions now) so when it comes to doing them on a calm day, I should find them easier, and hopefully, get one step closer to solo! Cant bloody wait!

Safe flying all,

Lee

P.s. There was a girl also doing training that day – not seen her before. I handed over a fuel drainer to you – are you on here by any remote chance?