PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The yaw/slip thread (merged) aka Aerodynamics 101
Old 20th Sep 2004, 09:45
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heedm Keith.Williams ft and all.

Glad to have you join in heedm.

My definition would leave out 'in the horizontal plane' and would include 'normal to the vertical axis' and there are probably a few ways of saying the same thing.

Sideslip of an aircraft is the angle between the longitudinal axis and the relative airflow in the plane of reference. That is only me saying the same thing .

I cannot think of any occasion when there may be an angle between relative airflow and flight path. Can you or anyone else?

Now climb into your twin again with its left engine out. Keep wings level for simplicity. To stabilize in straight balanced flight, as you say, there is dynamic pressure on the right side of the fuselage to balance the tendency to yaw left. That pressure represents a finite force which MUST NOT be diminished, not even by a milligram, if you are to continue to maintain straight balanced flight. Don't you now have a hell of a problem in using rudder any which way to get anywhere near zero sideslip. There is no way to get there. Immediately you change the rudder angle by a nat's whisker you have changed that finite side force and you are no longer in straight balanced flight. Give the aircraft a very long tail and you could reduce that side force requirement considerably and hence the sideslip but you can't just wish it to go away.

I see confusion in appreciating a requirement for a balance of forces. An overly concentration on balances of moments and couples/torques.

Please anyone prove to me where I am wrong so that I can crave forgiveness for being so persistent.

Keith.Williams.

Cannot imagine accepting the possibility of having sideslip either way so I guess I have to apologise for not having refuted your contention. I do so now.

So back to square 1.

Any aircraft in straight and level balanced flight having total drag offset from the fore and aft axis will be unable to have a direction of flight along its fore and aft axis. This applys equally to wings level and banked flight.

Fred
Just saw yours and the response is so simple that I am surprised you missed it.

Your quote - don't know how to put it between lines yet like you pros.

"The horizontal component of lift is equal and opposed to the horizontal force at the stabiliser"
Where are you getting that "horizontal force at the stabiliser" if it is not being generated by the very sideslip you think you have made go away. Fred you can't make it go away else you will have a strong tendency to become a frisby.
Convinced yet?