PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MYT - I can't believe it!!
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2004, 09:28
Viscount Sussex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack The Lad

I agree with you completely, but that’s not the way the company is doing it.
BALPA was the one that insisted in using LIFO on everything including, Captains demotions, basing, etc., and disregarded the existing seniority lists.
It’s mad. The company is looking at it and thinking “great, BALPA have done the dirty job for as.” They don’t have to do anything. BALPA takes the blame and the company get what they want. A lot of people don’t agree, but are frightened or shocked and they are going along with it. They are not looking ahead at the consequences and potential implications of getting rid of the seniority lists. If and when people get re-trained onto the Airbus 330’s, guess who is first on them? Not even the most senior trainers, but the most junior captains on the fleet. When it comes to re-locating people, you have the same scenario. I know of a captain that is going to be “bumped”. I think that’s what they are calling it. He will have to accept another base or accept redundancy. So he has told the company he rather be demoted than change base. Another captain that knew that he would be “bumped”, elected for the severance package, for that very reason. However if you have a mortgage insurance and elect voluntary redundancy, the insurance company will not pay. Mind you, that’s another issue.
As I said, it seems very unfair the way it has been handled and although the BALPA company council (the majority of them) have lost in seniority, they are not immediately affected by it. One Captain in the cc has actually benefited by it. But the BALPA cc has worked very hard on this one. I for one am very grateful for the work they have done, but totally disagree with creating a new seniority list and getting rid of the old ones, particularly at this moment in time.