PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The yaw/slip thread (merged) aka Aerodynamics 101
Old 20th Sep 2004, 09:06
ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, summing things up.

Milt:

The overriding fact to be determined initially is whether an aircraft having any angle of bank and in steady straight balanced flight can achieve that condition without sideslip.
...with asymmetric thrust.

ANY imbalance in thrust on a multi, not having centre line engines, which is then flown straight by either rudder or bank or a combination inevitably results in sideslip. It is unavoidable
That’s your hypothesis which is meeting with some opposition.

What is the effect of any resultant sideforce on a fusealge? There is ONLY ONE answer. The fuselage is of course forced to move sideways until it returns to balance..
This is, at least in my opinion, a fact.

Thus far, we agree. If there is such a resultant horizontal side force, a slip will develop until it is cancelled (straight flight being a given condition).

However, I showed above how you can achieve straight, balanced zero-slip flight with asymmetric thrust without such a resultant horizontal side force.

The disagreement boils down to whether this is possible or not. What you need to address is why the condition I gave, which fulfils all the requirements, is impossible. You claim it is impossible. Now tell us why this is so?

How can it be otherwise?
In reply, I quote myself:
The horizontal component of lift is equal and opposed to the horizontal force at the stabiliser.

Thrust equals drag.

M_yaw_total = 0

F_lateral_total = 0

F_longitudinal_total = 0

We have equilibrium, sans any slip.
That’s how it can be otherwise.

Questioning common knowledge is fine and something which should always be done. Convention without consideration is a dangerous thing. But if you do think the given model is wrong, you have to point out an error in the reasoning used, or all you will have is an unsubstantiated claim. If you can’t substantiate your hypothesis, a hypothesis is all it will remain. If the calculations given match up, they are either a good representation of reality and thus valid, or there is an error or oversimplification in there somewhere.

As it stands, we have an explanation of why you can have straight, level, asymmetric thrust flight with zero sideslip. We have an alternative hypothesis that this explanation is not correct. We do not have the data to falsify the given explanation. Until we have this data, the given explanation will stand.

I repeat: Where is the error? If it can't be found, I think I'm ready to rest my case.

Regards,
Fred