PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MYT - I can't believe it!!
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2004, 22:57
Mowgli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I speak as one who is still in the "at risk" of compulsary redundancy category despite the new numbers (77) needed to go. In a more favourable climate, I could reasonably have expected a "look-in" at command given my sim/line assessments of late. However, in the game of snakes and ladders that is our industry I am facing redundancy on the LIFO principle which is the norm. I have accepted this piece of misfortune. Since I have accepted possibly losing my job under these rules, I feel that Capts losing their commands under LIFO should accept it also. It's bad luck for some, beneficial for others, but removes any subjectivity of possibly assessing potential demotees using any other process.
In a similar vein I have had to accept some who are above me on the list who have far fewer hours than me and may therefore be judged "less useful" at the moment, due to the fact that they were cadets and therefore entering the ladder whilst still learning their trade. I accept this situation with good grace - good luck to them I say. Maybe it will be easier for me to get a position elsewhere because of my greater experience, and therefore there is fairness at play in that these lower experience people but with great potential, are being protected somewhat by the system.

Those Capts facing demotion will be repromoted using the LIFO principle in the future.

As one who is in a vulnerable position due to LIFO, I suggest that it is a fair system and Capts who will be demoted because of it should take some comfort in the fact that they could be in a much worse situation. One old Capt once said to me that he based his finances on being an FO, and anything extra was a bonus.