PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report on 1999 B757 crash at Girona finally published
Old 19th Sep 2004, 21:40
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, I ain't going away, Bally Heck.

This accident is so egregious in its cause and effect, that if other crew can not actually learn from the mistakes that were made by the Commander, then European aviation is in a much worse state than I thought.
These companies cry out for proper licensed dispatchers to advise crews of problems, and recommend solutions.
The US FAA long ago required this, but European operators seem not to learn from the accidents that occur.

That they don't does NOT say much for their operating procedures.
Ha! JAA compliant....phooey.
If Captains can't (by themselves) uplift enough fuel on their own accord, they don't BELONG in the airline business.
What the hell is wrong with the 'thinking?' process in the UK with these few (or maybe more) Commanders?

Then we have the Hapag Lloyd A310 accident at VIE, FUEL quantity...AGAIN.
Steaming along, the Commander seemly oblivious to the fuel remaining, in spite of the First Officers concerns.

Hey there, big time Captains...maybe you should start to listen to the guys on the RH side, as they seem to be more concerned than YOU are.

Good grief!

PS: Just to add---

Of the many substitute flights I performed from the UK, MONARCH stands out head and shoulders above the rest, in their preflight briefing ability.
Professional guys, who would always recommend extra fuel if the conditions required same...and many times it did.
Other companies could actually learn from these excellent folks.
An old line company doing it right.

Last edited by 411A; 19th Sep 2004 at 23:51.