PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MYT - I can't believe it!!
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2004, 20:32
Viscount Sussex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I made it clear enough.

I will say it again. I am totally in agreement with LIFO for redundancies, but I would like to see seniority from the Captains Seniority List to be used for demotion. The Captains Seniority List is not a "best pilots list", it's just a seniority list that has always been there and people get onto it as soon as they get their commands regardless of how good or how marginal they are. People come off this list as they retire or leave the company's employment. When somebody leaves the company, everybody on that list moves up one position regardless of ability or how well they get on with the company managers or trainers, etc.
A pilot becomes eligible for command in MYT according to the lay down requirements of the Pilot Policies and Procedures and length of service is not one of them. Therefore why should it then become for demotion. People should be demoted in the reverse order in which they were promoted.
I’ll spell it out again.
LIFO is OK for redundancy but not for demotion in my opinion.
An existing (old and established) seniority list is being binned and replaced by a new seniority list just created and nobody has been consulted. It has not been put to a ballot.
The reason…maybe pennies, maybe depends on who negotiated the whole deal, I don’t know, but it is not right.
The repercussions could be huge. Change of base for commanders, ratings onto other types, further demotions, future promotions and future vacancies.