PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Home networking through the house electricity cables
Old 19th Sep 2004, 18:40
BoeingBoy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Home networking through the house electricity cables

Hi All,

It would appear that I can now get 512kb BB from BT. Whilst I have yet to have my line tested my thoughts are turning towards setting up my first network.

I have two desktops and a lappy. The two desktops sit at opposite ends of a large 'L' shaped house. The lappy and the second desktop are rarely used together simultaneously. The area outside the house is heavily wooded. The line of site distance from one desktop to the other across the 'L' would be about 20metres, one being upstairs.

I have read stories about wireless running out of range due to internal walls, and being affected by outside obstacles. I have no idea if this would be the case but I don't want to spend money on a router etc. to find that my house is too big.

I note that there are now networking kits available in the UK that connect two or more computers via the mains. I believe these have been around for a while elswhere but are new here.

Can anyone tell me if they are worth the £100 being asked? Are they secure? Are they limited to two computers only? Must they have sole access to the plug socket or can you take the feed off anywhere?

I understand that they are good for 11mbs which is all I would need, so it sounds a good idea for me.

Thoughts and advice please?