PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S76C EMS Helicopter crash in sea off Sweden
Old 19th Sep 2004, 12:26
MD900 Explorer

Crazy Scandihooligan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-76 EMS Helo Crash

Rough translation from the news paper:-

"At 21.30 last night, came an emergency call about a man with severe heart problems to the control room in Norrköping. The man is believed to be located at Häradskär in Gryts skärgård in Östergötland.

A rescue helicopter of the type Sikorsky S76 stationed at Visby, was detailed with the rescue. Onboard were 4 helicopter personell and 1 nurse. Everyone's age is in the 30-40 bracket.

It was possible from the control room see where on a moving map the helicopter was at any one time. There was some communications with the man with heart problems. When they tried to communicate with the Helicoipter and heard no reply, they assumed something was wrong.

There was thoughts of a major crash. A full rescue alert was launched at 23.00. Many military helicopters and ships rushed to the scene of the crash. The scene was very close to Häradskär. The dramatic rescue was concluded at 00.45 when the crew were found on a small outcrop of rocks close by. The rescue helicopter had to land a short distance away from the rocks , and the crew had to wade across to the other helo to be picked up.

All the crew were physically unharmed. except one who was noticed to be limping. they were taken to Visby hospital for a check-up.

The patient with the heart problems was transferred later that night by boat to the mainland. He was transferred from the boat to an ambulance which took him to an another awaiting helicopter. the patients status is still unconfirmed. The control room commented that the patient had always been in contact with the control room, since the call was made initially.

The wreckage of the helicopter was found on the sunday morning and is believed to be 4 metres under water. The helicopter and the crew are believed to be from Norrlandsflyg in Gällivare."

There are two grey boxes to the right of the article. the upper one outlines the amount of helo accidents in the last two years and the lower one just gives some facts about the S76 involved. But i will transalte the two boxes anyway.

List of accidents.

11 sept - 3 dead in a civilian accident by Vättlefjäll north of Angered in Göteborg.

04 aug - Hughes 500 with steering problems in Ammarfjället. All survived (Pilot and three)

04 aug - three children and two adults survive when their helicopter ditches in Dalarö in Stockholms skärgård.

11 Nov - Super puma crash on a rescue excercise. 6 die and 1 survivor, location - Rörö outside Göteborg

25 march - medical officer dies and three survive as helo falls through ice on an excercise in Bottensjön in Karlsborg.

Facts about the S76 C

Very quick, two motor helicopter with equipment for SAR of people from the air. It has a winsch and a radar that can identify objects in the water. a powerful nightsun to illuminate the accident area. It has an AP facility that can be set up so the helicopter can hover over the scene of the accident. The aforementioned helicopter was on contract from the coastguard for SAR operations in the Gottland area. This american helicopter can fly most operations given to it. The medical world has used the Sikorsky when the ordinary air ambulance has not enough equipment omboard it.

Max weight - 5.3 tons
Max speed 288 Kmh
Crew - Normally 4 people
Flying time - can do three hours flying on a full tank.

I am sorry if some of the english is lost in the translation, but that is as good as my swedish gets. Bearing in mind that this is just the translation from the newspaper, please don't critisise me for wrong factual content here, as i did not write the newspaper article.

Regards

MD