PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Import to Outlook - dumb wizard.
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2004, 06:19
Ray Darr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you initially start Outlook from a fresh installation, it makes a new .pst file, and maps out where its default .pst file location is (somewhere under Documents and Settings).

If you want to import an entire .pst file, and that file has all the Outlook settings and data you want to use, this trick is much more effective (IMHO) than the import tool that MS provides.

Make sure you have closed Outlook before doing the following:

Do a search for all the pst files you have on your system using START | SEARCH, *.pst. The search should locate just two .pst files - the .pst the tech put on your desktop, and the default .pst in the Docs & Settings.

DELETE the default .pst that is in Docs & Settings. Remember, doing this will now delete any entries you have made into Outlook up to this point!

Using Windows Explorer, move the .pst file you wish to use from your desktop to whatever location you prefer. I happen to use all my data in, surprise surprise, a DATA folder (i.e. C:>Data\MS Outlook Current PST File) for easier backups. You can place it wherever you desire, even the default location. All roads lead to Rome, as they say.

Start Outlook. If you place your .pst file into a differnet location than the default, it tries in vain to locate the .pst file it had mapped before, and will pop-up a folder-menu. Map out the new file/folder location (wherever you had moved the .pst file the tech had on your desktop to).

Presto, you should have everything just as it was pre-Frances (Outlook-wise, anyway).

Hope everything else weathered the storm fine.

Good luck.
~R.D.