PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Approach into YMML
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2004, 02:07
mr hanky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Tagneah: "The RWY 19 ILS at BNE (via Leaky-Boats-Sinkk) is now given to both airlines. There is no restriction on DJ operations. I believe it was the QF 767's that were not permitted (company restrictions) to do the visual arrival by night or day but a QF driver might be able to shed some light on that.

I have heard that the current restrictions on the 19 viz approach at night are due to night time viz approach requirements leaving you high."

If there's any restriction on QF 767 vis approaches to 19 it's news to me. The approach comfortably complies with QF stable approach requirements, also there's no problem with being left high at night since ATC can get you down to 1500' on radar, which means you're well within the Cat D circling area before commencing descent on a 3 degree path.

It does seem to be standard that the 767 gets assigned the Moovi/Leaky STARS, but ATC seems quite happy to give us the visual one if we ask.

This probably goes back a couple of years to when QF was concerned about stable approaches, and the old 19 visual approach (with about a 120 degree turn onto final combined with the usual 20kt tailwind on base) occasionally got stuffed up. It became normal for us to join via the full ILS or vectors for a shorter final if you asked - but like I say, there's never been a prohibition on 767 visual approaches.