PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The good ole 'Practical' checkride (SHARE EXPERIENCE)
Old 18th Sep 2004, 20:42
EGAC_Ramper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well started off the day before for me,went up for the pre checkride stage check.I made a complete up of that,manouvers sucked liked they have never sucked before!! Instructor was dead-on and realised it was my nerves.Gave me the best bit of advice to me anyways which was to take your time,think things through,rememeber you arn't in any hurry and do the manouvers etc all in your own time.

So came day of test,fuelled up my C172,gave the instructor(ex F27/757 jockey) the safety brief.No smoking,no touching the controls and if he could remain silent while I was dealing with ATC etc.So taxied out did my run up and other checks.Departed the circuit to the North and proceeded on the cross country.Like mentioned dont be afraid to chat to the intrsuctor.Had interesting conversation.Then came the diversion,so off I turned to an alternate airfield working out on the computer the timings etc and speed etc.Quite difficult in the turbulence and not helped by the fact I dropped some stuff in the footwell!!
Anyways made the airfield then proceeded to carryout my engine failures/fires in flight.Picked my spot to land into wind and dropped down to low altitude.Then he said "okay thats fine climb back up" shortly after he said "engine failure after take-off!"
So ran through the drill again landing dead ahead in a nice field with some cows either side,obviously didn't land but you get the idea

Climbed up then to my surprise he turns of my electrics.Asked what intruments had I lost,how much fuel was left and how long would it last,would we make it back to our home airport?

Finally headed back to the field and after a month of solid flying using rwy's 27L+R I find the wind has changed and the 09's are in use!! Yay I think so setup for normal landing on 09R the shorter and narrower of the two runways.Turning left onto finals feel the plane drop slightly to which I apply some RPM recover,with instrucotr laughing and saying "ha ha wind shear thats good!" To which I'm a nervous wreck lol.Carried out another two circuits doing flapless landing and then finally a short field landing before and taxi to parking.

DONE AND DUSTED I PASSED

Regards