PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MYT - I can't believe it!!
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2004, 19:42
Jack The Lad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viscount

I think there is a fair way to do things and there is an expedient way to do things. A lot depends on what situation the airline is in, financially, and what agreements it has in force for its pilots.

An airline in financial difficulty, which is probably the only reason it would make redundancies in the first place, could be excused for making the minimum statutory payments and taking the least-cost option for shedding crews (indeed, it has a responsibility to do so). That is not unreasonable, because it is also in the best interests of those pilots it retains that it makes the best financial decsions.

Ability has nothing to do with any of this; if a captain is deemed suitable to be such, then it is a no cost factor. If he wasn't suitable, then he shouldn't be there anyway.

Training personnel are different, because they have been chosen (hopefully) because of their ability and attributes to be so. They should have their own seniority list.

So, what is fair?

I think most agree that LIFO is a fair principle, in so far as anyone will loose their jobs.

The airline should probably ask for voluntary redundancies first, so as to limit the number of compulsory redundancies. It may not do this if it is not obliged to do so under employment law.

Demotion is most fairly dealt with on the seniority basis of the promotion. Perceived ability should not be an issue here either. Hopefully you were promoted when you reached the required standard and experience, so that has its own seniority list based only on the date of upgrade.

BALPA will not, and never have, added any real value to this process. How can they? Besides, they are too busy trying to gain recognition in their 'high profile' campaigns to worry about those whose contributions will be ceasing soon.

Call me cynical? Yes, you'd be 'right on'.

Sorry, but true.

Jack

Last edited by Jack The Lad; 18th Sep 2004 at 20:12.