PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report on 1999 B757 crash at Girona finally published
Old 18th Sep 2004, 14:10
shlittlenellie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
411A - almost every post you've ever written seems intent on generating ire through unbalanced and ill-founded pronouncements. From what you say it is transparently obvious that you are not and have never been a professional pilot in any capacity beyond Microsoft's Flight Sim. Why not take the time to read the report or get someone to read it to you and let them explain the technical aspects. The Captain did not grab the controls from the F/O and execute a dirty dive. As for the undoubted fatigue issues - again you demonstrate a total lack of empathy (and therefore past experience) of the job. The crew were towards the end of a busy summer season operating from an undermanned base where they would have been working 800-900 hours in the year with poor rostering and switching between earlies and deep nights with little variation other than to increase circadian disorder. They were on the third of a deep-night series having had long sectors on the previous two nights with an accumulated sleep debt from a busy season. Until you've flown it, you cannot appreciate it - I have and I do.

The accident report has a bias and does not present an objective assessment of a horrible night and a remarkable number of variables and factors; of which not all are addressed. We would all fly it differently now that we have the benefit of exacting hindsight. I am sure that even in your warm understair cupboard, playing your flight simulator, you have made errors, albeit slight that begin to accumulate. No one is perfect, all of us make mistakes, however the dreadful fact is that an aircraft crashed and we can all (you excepted), as professionals keen on continuous improvement, learn from this.