PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report on 1999 B757 crash at Girona finally published
Old 18th Sep 2004, 01:49
broadreach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is coming around to questions I asked myself after reading the report. I wondered what anyone's gut reaction would be in the instant the runway lights went out, whatever remaining luminescence outside is no use for reference and probably best avoided too, it's a downhill runway and the FO says you're 50ft high.

Would full down elevator and subsequent flare have worked had the aircraft been ten feet higher when the split-second decision for full down was taken? Would a stronger nose gear structure have withstood a fraction less impact load? The questions just go on and on. Lining up the holes in the Swiss Cheese can be achieved from more than one side of the slab, particularly in hindsight.

What seems terribly poignant about it all is that the two men involved are undoubtedly respected as good pilots, that somehow they got caught out by the alignment of holes, that from the moment the aircraft touched down everything else was down to luck. Just look at the trajectory the aircraft took as it left the runway! And that, for sure, they're aware of what's being said on here.