PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightsimmers, how many of you here and how do you interact it with real flying?
Old 18th Sep 2004, 01:41
jabberwok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The spinning issue in FS was only cleared up when RealAir brought out their lovely SF260 for FS2002 (shown in one of the threads above). They found that default FS aircraft couldn't spin properly because MS had applied flight dynamics to the whole wing as one unit - not as separate entities. The first true spinnable aircraft in FS were the SF260 and RealAir's Cessna 172 - the latter free of charge. In fact the RealAir C172 flies quite differently to the default C172 and is much more like the real aircraft.

In FS2004 things are better in that more aircraft can be spun correctly but only a few designers know how to implement this. As a result only a few of the default aircraft can be spun and very few add-on aircraft.

I agree with the other threads about helicopters - these are considerably more difficult to fly in FS than in real life.

Looking back at my postings on this topic shows a slightly negative attitude towards FS but that isn't the case - I really do enjoy using the product. If I hadn't I would not have spent the last decade building aircraft and scenery for it. Having said that I feel this had made me more aware of how much it can be used for emulating real world procedures.

As real as it gets? Almost - but it still has a fair way to go..

To PilotWolf..

May I recommend you dump your copy of FS2000 and try and get a cheap copy of FS2002 or treat yourself to FS2004. FS2000 was an AWFUL release and slow to load and run. FS2002 was actually faster with much better frame rates - essential for any helicopter flying.