PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report on 1999 B757 crash at Girona finally published
Old 17th Sep 2004, 21:51
thegypsy
DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most experienced Pilots would agree that not enough fuel was loaded in the first instance and had an extra few tons been on board would the accident have still happened?? Perhaps or Perhaps not.Nobody knows the answer to that.

Having spent 15+ years flogging up and down 3 nights in a row to places like Gerona,Iraklion,Kerkira,Kos etc etc if there was ever a likely weather problem I alwaysd loaded extra fuel to take into account the fact that on arrival I was knackered and therefore worrying about fuel was one less problem to contend with. I went overseas to get away from this dreadful lifestyle and worked for an International Schedule Airline and have never had to do two night flights on the trot ever again thank God.

The fact that he had enough fuel to divert to BCN and hold for 30 minutes would not have been a great comfort in the circumstances as nobody wants to test the fuel guages to that extent especially if he had heard that BCN traffic was diverting to GRN which some people have suggested was the case.

Fatigue most definitely played a part in this accident , whether there was windshear ,autothrottle problems then these should have been picked up under normal circumstances but these were not exactly normal circumstances by all accounts.

WE can all train for these for these events in the Sim but on the day do any of us really know how we would actually perform in the circumstances?? I would like to think I would have performed a G/A happy in the knowledge I had plenty of fuel but who knows ??