PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The yaw/slip thread (merged) aka Aerodynamics 101
Old 17th Sep 2004, 18:27
Bellerophon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Milt

...I think I hurt the feelings of the ex Concord Captain when I called his sideslip indicator a con...are you still there on the side Captain?...

Still here, feelings unhurt, but head now aching!

I'm with Keith Williams on this one.

On several occasions I have demonstrated, entirely to my own satisfaction if not that of my simulator instructor's, that my flying skills - so generously described by him during the subsequent debrief as unbelievable and unique - enabled me to fly a constant-heading engine-out climb, sideslipping in either direction, depending on the amount of bank and rudder applied.

If it is possible to slideslip in either direction in this condition, then it must be possible to find and maintain that position in which there is zero sideslip. Not me personally you understand, but perhaps a luckier pilot. It may be a difficult position to find, but that does not mean it does not exist!

Of greater concern to us was Concorde’s tendency, following an engine failure at high speed, to yaw one way (conventionally) but to roll the other (away from the failed engine); however that is a topic for another day!

Far more knowledgeable posters than I are now involved in this particular debate, and, as I said, my head hurts, so I shall now confine myself quietly to the sidelines.

By the way, do you have a licence to fish in this stream?

Regards

Bellerophon.