PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightsimmers, how many of you here and how do you interact it with real flying?
Old 17th Sep 2004, 17:53
DOC.400
"Trust Me"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over the 13 years I've been flying, I've found FS invaluable.

Firstly to keep current when I ran out of money during training....was 'away' nine months and my instructor said it was as if I hadn't stopped when I got back into it. I flew ccts and went thru all the checks as necessary, repetition, repetition....mostly from good old Meigs Field in Chicago!!

Then onto my IMC where it really scored. Could practice all the joins for NDB and practice approaches, holds etc., BEFORE the detail, and then also fly it on the sim after.

It got really sad for a while when I set up a Heathrow approach frequency (I'm only 8d from LHR), paused a B737 in the hold at BNN or LAM, whatever, and then flew the heights, headings and speeds given by ATC. Bit tricky coz I had to factor in the wind, but usually managed to get on the ILS.

And then I discovered Jeppesens Simcharts, so can now attempt the SID's and STAR's!! Would sit on the runway at LHR awaiting clearance and follow whatever SID the 'plane was put on. It would be over the North Sea sometimes before I lost ATC, so would then dig out Amsterdam approach plates and in we go!! Having just arrived back from hols which took in Austria, practiced the offset approach into Innsbruck which starts in the hold at 7500' -interesting!!

Also recomend Just Flights GB Airports for the detail. Flew a pal into East Midlands earlier this year, so I practiced taxiiing around before I went -frightenely realistic!!

Set up now is just a MS Sidewinder stick on a very ordinary pooter and flat screen.

I've also used TOCA 2 to find my way around racetracks on the Playstation to help another hobby.....but that's another story!!

DOC.400