PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates 777 go around at LHR
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2004, 11:22
Gentle Climb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notso

I agree that many people do post questions on the wrong forum. I also see that many of the pro's get really p..... off with 'what happened at wherever' type questions from Joe Public as it is (probably) boring and repetitive for you guy's for whom a go around is a practised for event and you will have done it many times. Joe doesn't get to see an aircraft event/non event so often and is therefore naturally interested in knowing more.
Whether you like it or not, your job and apparatus are very interesting to a great number of people. That is why questions are asked. If you were driving along the M25 and you witnessed a company 747 performing a go around, I find hard to believe that you would not be interested to know more detail. You have the facility to do this where you work, most others don't and therefore ask using this website which is probably the closest form of communication that many people will have with aviators.
I agree that the site was set up for professional pilots and that interested wannabees can be irksome to you. Maybe a new forum that is easily identified by those with questions of a'go around ' nature is the answer. I hope that you don't feel offended by my comment, and having seen several threads over the last few months suggesting that flying 'ain't what it used to be', please remember that people having a job that people are interested in is fantastic. It's when people aren't interested that status is ultimately reduced. Nobody EVER asks me about my floor sweeping technique!