PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an Instructor & related FI questions
Old 17th Sep 2004, 09:29
ec135driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit of a vicious reply from bellfest? I started as an instructor in the US had about 162 hours give or take a few minutes.

When my chief pilot took me for breakfast apart from imparting his own 3 rules he answered my question about my own feelings regarding my lack of hours.

His attitude was that you can fly well enough to awarded a Commercial helicopter rating and a Certified Flight Instructor rating.

So as long as you can demonstrate exactly the manouvre you are teaching, at the correct speed, heights, rates of climb or descent then it doesn't matter how many hours you have it cannot be done any more exactly!

Sure I didn't know anything about load lifting, filming, police or hems flying, but then I wasn't trying to teach any of that either.

Be precise, accurate and never ever show off, resist that urge at the end of an hour flogging around the sky to say "Relax, I have control....."

The best instructor I have had, never touched the controls except to help.

By all means get the extra ratings, each time you get in the aircraft again as a student will help you remember what your students are going through! and they WILL make you a better pilot.

Fly safe