PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The yaw/slip thread (merged) aka Aerodynamics 101
Old 17th Sep 2004, 06:56
ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I'll ask you to mentally turn our subject typical aircraft on to its side and assume that it is being carried along in balanced flight hanging on a giant sky hook suspended through its cg. Zero all the lift with a bit of negative wing alpha. Now we wag the tail again using the rudder to vary fuselage alpha. Doesn't the fuselage now act like a wing and take on what we can call lift and negative lift when we wag the other way.. What stops it doing the same thing horizontally when we fly it normally? Only difference is we call it all by different names and confuse the multitude, but we are now back with sideslip and the horizontal force resulting from that sideslip.

Maybe I can now stick my neck out with another motherhood statement which I believe is inviolate.

Sideslip of an aircraft having a symmetrical fuselage inevitably produces a sideforce acting through the total fuselage lateral centre of pressure PERIOD
The fact that a slipping fuselage creates a lateral aerodynamic force is not contested here. The requirement to have that lateral aerodynamic force to maintain straight unaccelerated flight with asymmetric thrust is.

As shown above, equilibrium can be maintained without that lateral force and thus without any slip.

Show me why you think the proposed equations of equilibrium do not hold water, and you’ll convince me. Until then, I think you’ll find it near impossible.

Regards,
Fred